Sunday, 8 January 2012

Sunshine with my nana

Today I spent the day bonding with my nana, I've probably told you all about my grandparents coming over to the UK to visit. Well today spending time with her on a one to one basis was lovely and brightened up my day...

My family love to bake. Everyone in the family has a signature dish. My mum makes the best carrot cakes with lemon drizzle icing. My special dish is cupcakes with pink frosting, and my nan makes marmalade and jams like you've never tasted.

She brings them over from back home and smuggles them into the UK because she knows we love it soo much, and today I wanted to learn how she makes marmalade so that I can have that little reminder of her every day at breakfast as a spread the marmalade on my toast.

We went out and bought the fruit we wanted which was quince (tastes like a cross between and apple and a pear). We peeled then grated about 3 massive ones and covered it in sugar. Then we boiled the skins with cloves to get all the goodness out of the skins. We sieved the juice into the pot and added the grated quince we boiled it for a while and left it too soak.


Tomorrow were going to boil it again until it starts to look like a good marmalade should. Once it's all prepared I will upload the final product.


What made me smile about this little bit of binding between my nan and me was not that I get to have a pot full of marmalade that will last me a month. But that something got passed down to me from two generations and something that one day I want to pass down to my grandchildren if I'm blessed enough to have some.

Family bonds are precious and don't let things die out, pass them on for generations and pass the sunshine along with it.



Lots of love

MLP



No comments:

Post a Comment